Monday 2 January 2012

Why I am blogging...

I wanted to write about why I've chosen to blog about retinal detachment.

Once I'd been diagnosed and found out about the operation the first thing I did was turn to the internet for information, help and support. I couldn't really find what I was looking for. I've found lots of information on the medical terms, on the different ways of repairing a retinal detachment, on the symptoms and on the causes but not a lot on what it feels like after the operation, on what the recovery is like or what I can expect my life to be like after.

A lot of what I have found has been contradictory and a lot has been based on retinal detachments in other countries, I've found very little information about the UK's procedures, about whether everyone has to 'posture' and what exactly this might mean and no information on what I can expect from my eyes for the rest of my life. I've been given no information to read by my hospital and I was told very little at the hospital so the internet is my only source of knowledge.

I want this blog to be useful to other people who google the same things as me. I hope to post links to useful sites, descriptions of procedures and my day to day recovery from retinal detachment.

If you've found this blog while searching online please feel free to contact me, comment on my posts and I'll try and reply asap.

Tomorrow is operation day. I'm nervous. I hope to blog tomorrow or the day after but of course it will depend on how things go. Wish me luck!


Suzie

P.S, excuse the plain-ness of the blog, I hope to make it look prettier in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment